The Second Judicial District Court is recruiting for a full-time, classified Judicial Specialist 2 position #00054646-23200 for the Criminal Division in Albuquerque, New Mexico. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES : Acting under general supervision prepare and process court documents, perform judicial procedures and work with the court case management system. Finalist(s) may be subject to criminal background check.
The successful applicant should demonstrate knowledge of legal terminology and phrases; filing methods; case processing; knowledge of Specialty Court Programs; research methodology; project management techniques; court fee accounting practices; court monitoring procedures; Court Clerk’s Procedures Manual and Code of Ethics; court’s and States Language Access Policies, access to the Certified Language International Interpreting Line; and general organization structure of the judiciary.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES
● The Judicial Specialist 2 is responsible using the case management system to open, docket, and close cases based on judgement details.
● Provides customer service information with to a high volume of pro se litigants by providing general procedural information without giving legal advice.
● Uses the case management system to (1) open cases – determine case type/cause of action and assess and receipt filing fee if required; (2) docket cases – review documents and determine appropriate event codes, enter data, scan documents, and link related scanned images; and (3) close cases – determine and enter closing events, disposition type, and judgement details.
● Assesses, receipts, records, and reconciles monies, and prepares bank deposits; follows cash handling procedures.
● Processes, maintains, and distributes documents, files and case materials.
● Uses electronic filing to review incoming filings for format, signatures, event code, and filings fees.
● Processes and expedites orders of protections.
● Accurately disburses bond payments.
● Prepares and maintains bond reports.
● Reconciles billing and invoices from contracted vendors provided for Specialty Court Programs.
● Prepares, proofreads, edits and mails out documents such as notices and final orders.
● Executes on case hearings, which may include: orders to show cause, bench warrants, recusals, excusals, pleadings, and rule extensions.
● Maintains a cash till and ensures court fees are accurately assessed, paid, receipted, and correctly recorded in the case management system.
● Provides public case information to parties, attorneys, law enforcement agencies, and other outside agencies.
● Orders, reviews, sorts, and organizes jury summons.
● Prepares alpha list, random list, voir dire sheet, and seating chart for jury trials.
● Organizes case files for microfilming, archiving, and destruction.
● Prepares exhibits and hard copy case files.
● Researches automated, hard-copy and microfiche files for case status data.
● Certifies and prepares court records, tapes, logs, and exhibits for cases on appeal to higher courts.
● Ensures the office, courtrooms, and its equipment are operational.
● Ensures judicial calendars and schedules are maintained.
● Serves as court monitor.
● Other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS The following functions are representative of the work environment and physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office, court setting, or designated work area. The work is performed in an often fast paced, stressful work environment, and under severe time constraints to meet multiple demands. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to perform repetitious hand, arm and finger motions as well as use manual/finger dexterity, sit for long periods of time, stand for hours and walk often, lift, climb ladders, kneel/stoop, move, pull and carry up to twenty-five (25) pounds; travel, work overtime and/or flexible work hours including shift work (24/7), weekends and holidays; and exposed to fluctuating building temperatures. The employee may be exposed to hostile or violent situations that may arise when dealing with individuals involved in court cases, disturbing or hazardous court exhibits and contagious health conditions.
• Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Life Insurances, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, flexible spending, employee and assistance program. [www.mybenefitsnm.com]
• State paid life insurance. Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses.
• Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave.
• Ten (10) holidays.
• Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan.
• State Retirement Plan [www.nmpera.org]
*All benefits are subject to change.