The Sixth Judicial District Court is recruiting for an at-will, full-time Law Clerk position #10111880-23600 in Deming, New Mexico. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Acting under general direction, work as personal staff to a District Court Judge on assigned cases, perform legal research, analysis, writing, and editing. The target pay rate is $27.891 hourly. The finalist (s) may be subject to a criminal background check.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
● The Law Clerk is responsible for reviewing cases, analyzing briefs, records and legal authorities cited.
● Prepares legal drafts by assembling and organizing information for legal forms and documents.
● Processes complaints, declarations, discovery requests, responses, and other pleadings.
● Evaluates the merits of legal arguments by researching laws, statutes, constitutions, regulations, court opinions, and precedents.
● Analyzes and assesses the impact of applicable law.
● Assists in preparing for oral arguments, and “briefs-only” conferences.
● Assembles case materials by collecting, organizing, and summarizing information, documents, reports, and evidence.
● Maintains calendar by entering and updating requirements, court dates, and meetings.
● Performs legal research and analysis.
● Prepares and oversees bench memos for cases.
● Recommends appropriate court calendaring.
● Assists with and delegates in-court functions and processes.
● Reviews and analyzes records and transcripts.
● Performs technical editing of legal documents.
● Drafts opinions, calendar notices, orders, memoranda, and decisions for review and final approval.
● Discusses confidential and sensitive issues with justices or judges.
● Participates in special projects, presentations, and training.
● Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant should demonstrate their knowledge of the United States and New Mexico constitutions, federal law, New Mexico case law, statutes, rules, policies and procedures; legal terminology, Code of Judicial Conduct; Rules of Professional Conduct; court jurisdiction and operations; manual and computerized legal research; principles of legal analysis and writing; filing systems New Mexico case law and statutes and court jurisdiction.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The following functions are representative, but not all-inclusive of the work environment and physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office or court setting. A valid driver's license and travel may be required. The assigned work schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays, and overtime. The employee must regularly interact positively with co-workers, clients, the public, and judges and justices.
*This job description is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions performed*
● Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Short, and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, employee assistance program (EAP) [http://www.mybenefitsnm.com/]
● State paid life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance
● Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses
● Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, up to eight (8) weeks
● Ten (10) paid holidays
● Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
● Lifetime Defined Benefits Retirement Plan [http://www.nmpera.org/]
● Flexible work schedules and alternative work locations*
● Free health care, Rx, lab work at the facility (Stay Well Health Center) in Santa Fe, NM
● Bilingual compensation*
● Training and career development opportunities
● Higher education opportunities and educational leave
● May qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
● May receive overtime holiday or shift differential pay*
● May receive physical fitness leave*
*These benefits vary by job classification or need*