The Tenth Judicial District Court is recruiting for a full-time, classified Judicial Specialist 2 position #00033603-24000 to be located in the Quay County Magistrate Court in Tucumcari, New Mexico. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Acting under general supervision prepare and process court documents, perform judicial procedures and work with the court case management system. Finalist(s) may be subject to criminal background check.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES
● The Judicial Specialist 2 is responsible using the case management system to open, docket, and close cases based on judgement details.
● Provides customer service information with to a high volume of pro se litigants by providing general procedural information without giving legal advice.
● Uses the case management system to (1) open cases – determine case type/cause of action and assess and receipt filing fee if required; (2) docket cases – review documents and determine appropriate event codes, enter data, scan documents, and link related scanned images; and (3) close cases – determine and enter closing events, disposition type, and judgement details.
● Assesses, receipts, records, and reconciles monies, and prepares bank deposits; follows cash handling procedures.
● Processes, maintains, and distributes documents, files and case materials.
● Uses electronic filing to review incoming filings for format, signatures, event code, and filings fees.
● Processes and expedites orders of protections.
● Accurately disburses bond payments.
● Prepares and maintains bond reports.
● Reconciles billing and invoices from contracted vendors provided for Specialty Court Programs.
● Prepares, proofreads, edits and mails out documents such as notices and final orders.
● Executes on case hearings, which may include: orders to show cause, bench warrants, recusals, excusals, pleadings, and rule extensions.
● Maintains a cash till and ensures court fees are accurately assessed, paid, receipted, and correctly recorded in the case management system.
● Provides public case information to parties, attorneys, law enforcement agencies, and other outside agencies.
● Orders, reviews, sorts, and organizes jury summons.
● Prepares alpha list, random list, voir dire sheet, and seating chart for jury trials.
● Organizes case files for microfilming, archiving, and destruction.
● Prepares exhibits and hard copy case files.
● Researches automated, hard-copy and microfiche files for case status data.
● Certifies and prepares court records, tapes, logs, and exhibits for cases on appeal to higher courts.
● Ensures the office, courtrooms, and its equipment are operational.
● Ensures judicial calendars and schedules are maintained.
● Serves as court monitor.
● Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant should demonstrate knowledge of legal terminology and phrases; filing methods; case processing; knowledge of Specialty Court Programs; research methodology; project management techniques; court fee accounting practices; court monitoring procedures; Court Clerk’s Procedures Manual and Code of Ethics; court’s and States Language Access Policies, access to the Certified Language International Interpreting Line; and general organization structure of the judiciary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The following functions are representative, but not all-inclusive of the work environment and physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office or court setting. A valid driver's license and travel may be required. The assigned work schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays and overtime. The employee must regularly interact positively with co-workers, clients, the public, and judges and justices.
* This job description is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions performed
● Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, employee assistance program (EAP) [http://www.mybenefitsnm.com/]
● State paid life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance
● Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses
● Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, up to eight (8) weeks
● Ten (10) paid holidays
● Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
● Lifetime Defined Benefits Retirement Plan [http://www.nmpera.org/]
● Flexible work schedules and alternative work locations*
● Free health care, Rx, lab work at facility (Stay Well Health Center) in Santa Fe, NM
● Bilingual compensation*
● Training and career development opportunities
● Higher education opportunities and educational leave
● May qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
● May receive overtime holiday or shift differential pay*
● May receive physical fitness leave*
● What are your benefits worth? Click here to find out
*these benefits vary by job classification or need*