The Eleventh Judicial District & Magistrate Courts is recruiting for a Full-time, Classified, Attorney Senior #00027962-24100 position. This position is located in our Aztec District Court location but will also support the judges and staff in McKinley County, with occasional travel to Gallup. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Acting under administrative direction of the Judge, Court Executive officer, or a supervising attorney provides legal advice, performs legal research and analysis, and makes recommendations to the court or Judicial Entity. Finalist(s) may be subject to criminal background checks.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES
● The Attorney – Senior is responsible for reviewing cases, performing legal research, identifying, analyzing and assessing the impact of applicable law.
● May train, supervise, mentor, and evaluate performance.
● Assists the Supreme Court with the exercise of its constitutional rulemaking authority and provides staff support for their rulemaking committees, boards, and commissions.
● Drafts recommendations and proposed dispositions for assigned cases.
● Screens pro se petitions for jurisdiction and procedural prerequisites.
● Responds on behalf of the Supreme Court to correspondence, e-mails and telephone calls from pro se litigants, inmates, attorneys, and members of the public.
● Assists the Court to resolve pending appeals by reviewing motions, docketing statements and briefs.
● Leads the reviews and disposition of Driving while Intoxicated and Domestic Violence cases on appeal from Metropolitan Court and reviews cases on appeal from Motor Vehicle Department license revocation hearings.
● Recommends appropriate courses of action and dispositions.
● Drafts memoranda of law, proposed opinions and orders for administrative appeals of record and de novo appeals.
● Analyzes briefs, records, and legal authorities cited.
● Creates proposed orders addressing petitions for extraordinary writs and motions in civil and criminal matters.
● Evaluates court processes and formulate, recommend and implement policies and procedures to ensure uniform compliance with statutory and constitutional provisions, case law and Supreme Court Rules.
● Assists management on personnel issues and ensures compliance with applicable employment laws, rules, regulations, court and AOC policies and procedures.
● Assists with Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) and Invitations to Bid (ITB’s).
● Develops judicial procedures and documentation for conducting stream adjudication and provides legal direction to judges and courts related to stream adjudication cases.
● Prepares and makes oral presentations, training or continuing education at national, state and local conferences.
● Attends trials and hearings, advices and meets with court administration and staff on legal or court matters.
● Researches proposed legislation, provide testimony and participate in developing strategies for passage of legislation.
● Oversees and assesses the appropriateness of mediation or a dispute resolution process for a case and conducts mediation or a dispute resolution process subject to the applicable standards of confidentiality.
● Leads joint discussion with all parties, and conducts private discussions with each party, identifies issues, contentions, and interests and develops a constructive working environment that generates discussion of options for resolution.
● Oversees and encourages negotiations extending beyond the initial conference through subsequent conversations or additional conferences.
● Facilitates settlements until an agreement is reached or until settlement does not appear to be possible.
● Oversees court mandated programs.
● Communicates, supports, and develops working relationships with associated parties.
● Prepares curriculum or workshop materials for training and educational programs.
● Ensures compliance with statuary deadlines and budgetary limitations.
● May serve on statewide or local committees.
● Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant should demonstrate knowledge of United States and New Mexico constitutions, federal law, New Mexico case law, statutes, rules, policies and procedures; rules of Criminal and Civil procedures, rules of Appellate Procedure, rules of evidence, the Code of Judicial Conduct, and rules of Professional Conduct. Court jurisdiction and operations; legal research; judiciary processes and policies, administrative, civil and criminal law and procedures. Principles of legal analysis and writing, legal proofreading and editing; court case management systems; supervisory techniques, mediating and managing conflict. Employment law; and conflict-resolution principles and techniques. Ability to balance practical and legal considerations, develop procedures, comprehend and explain complex issues and solve problems.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The following functions are representative, but not all-inclusive of the work environment and physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office or court setting. A valid driver's license and travel may be required. The assigned work schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays and overtime. The employee must regularly interact positively with co-workers, clients, the public, and judges and justices.
* This job description is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions performed
● Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, employee assistance program (EAP) [http://www.mybenefitsnm.com/]
● State paid life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance
● Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses
● Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, up to eight (8) weeks
● Ten (10) paid holidays
● Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
● Lifetime Defined Benefits Retirement Plan [http://www.nmpera.org/]
● Flexible work schedules and alternative work locations*
● Free health care, Rx, lab work at facility (Stay Well Health Center) in Santa Fe, NM
● Bilingual compensation*
● Training and career development opportunities
● Higher education opportunities and educational leave
● May qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
● May receive overtime holiday or shift differential pay*
● May receive physical fitness leave*