New Mexico State Judiciary Job Opening
Back to Job Opportunities Page
Administrative Office of the Courts
Business Unit: 24100
Security Bailiff #10100157-24100, Full-time, Perm in Gallup, NM
# of Positions: 1
Opening Date: 01-12-2021 -
Job Pay Range: $10.084 - $16.387 per hour
Target Pay Range/Rate: $15.239 per hour
The Eleventh Judicial District Court is recruiting for a full-time, classified, Security Bailiff #10100157-24100 in Gallup, NM. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Acting under general direction of a Judge, Court Administrator, or Bailiff Supervisor, plan, monitor and provide security for the courthouse; ensure proper behavior in the courtroom for all proceedings, provide a high level of customer service, assist Judge, jurors and other parties as needed. Operate security and metal detecting equipment at entrance to courthouse or courtroom, if applicable. This is an unarmed security position. Finalist(s) will be subject to criminal background checks.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES
● The Bailiff Security is responsible for identifying and deterring suspicious activities, inappropriate behavior, illegal contraband and preventing in-courtroom communication, and contraband transfer between inmates and the public.
● Ensures proper behavior in the courtroom for all proceedings, provides customer service, and assists Judge, jurors, and other parties as needed.
● Sets up and takes care of the courtroom during proceedings.
● Coordinates with law enforcement agencies on the transportation of inmates to and from the courthouse and/or courtroom.
● Works with attorneys who may need special equipment for a hearing.
● Maintains, requests and secures exhibits entered as evidence during proceedings or until handed off at the end of trial to appropriate personnel.
● Obtains files and Judge’s notes of upcoming cases for Judge’s review.
● Assembles files in the order cases are to be heard for the day.
● Ensures Judge has immediate access to updated files, motions and documents.
● Assists in assembly of potential jurors and instructs jurors on processes.
● Provides customer service and maintains contact with jurors during trial.
● Maintains juror time records, takes roll-call and ensures jurors are seated properly.
● Ensures all parties are present for each hearing.
● Swears in witnesses and proper parties.
● Enters dispositions into the case management system, and prepare orders for the Judge’s signature.
● Performs Court Monitor duties.
● Assists in the document flow from the Judge to the attorney’s and/or pro se parties.
● Acts as a liaison with local law enforcement agencies.
● Trains and supports other bailiffs.
● Announces Judge’s entrance into and departure from the courtroom and ensures proper decorum is maintained in the courtroom during proceedings.
● Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant should demonstrate knowledge of general court procedures, security
management and safety practices, evacuation procedures, fire alarm systems; metal detectors, security equipment, mobile x-ray inspection systems; safety and security processes, first aid techniques, fire and police reporting procedures, electronic equipment, and judiciary and courtroom protocols.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The following functions are representative, but not all-inclusive of the work environment and physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office or court setting. A valid driver's license and travel may be required. The assigned work schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays and overtime. The employee must regularly interact positively with co-workers, clients, the public, and judges and justices.
* This job description is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions performed
● Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, employee assistance program (EAP) [http://www.mybenefitsnm.com/]
● State paid life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance
● Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses
● Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, up to eight (8) weeks
● Ten (10) paid holidays
● Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
● Lifetime Defined Benefits Retirement Plan [http://www.nmpera.org/]
● Flexible work schedules and alternative work locations*
● Free health care, Rx, lab work at facility (Stay Well Health Center) in Santa Fe, NM
● Bilingual compensation*
● Training and career development opportunities
● Higher education opportunities and educational leave
● May qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
● May receive overtime holiday or shift differential pay*
● May receive physical fitness leave*
*these benefits vary by job classification or need*
Education: High school diploma or GED.
Education Substitution: None.
Experience: One (1) year of experience in a security, law enforcement, or legal setting, of which six (6) months’ must have been in law enforcement and/or security work.
Experience Substitution: Relevant post-secondary education may substitute for general experience at a rate of thirty (30) semester hours’ equals one (1) year of experience. Education or other relevant experience may not substitute for the six (6) months’ of required law enforcement and/or security experience.
Other: Selected candidates will receive additional security training specific to the court. Training may include operation of security and metal detecting equipment, standard first aid training, which includes Adult CPR, Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
Submit a Judicial Branch Application for Employment or a Resume with a Resume Supplemental form, along with proof of education by 5:00 p.m., Friday, February 5, 2021 to:
Microsoft Word Format
Adobe PDF Format
Resume Supplemental Forms:
Microsoft Word Format
Adobe PDF Format
Eleventh Judicial District & Magistrate Courts
103 S Oliver Drive
Aztec, NM 87410
Proof of education is required.
Application forms and job description may be picked up or dropped off at:
Eleventh Judicial District Court, Aztec
103 S Oliver Drive, Aztec
851 Andrea Drive, Farmington
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER