The New Mexico Supreme Court is accepting applications for a full-time, classified Judicial Specialist Senior #00054363-21600 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Acting under general direction utilize advanced expertise to prepare and process court documents, perform judicial procedures and work with the court case management system Finalist(s) may be subject to criminal background check.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES
● The Judicial Specialist Senior is responsible for ensuring court rules and procedures are followed and case management is conducted in a prompt manner.
● Provides customer service information to a high volume of pro se litigants by providing general procedural information without giving legal advice.
● Assesses, receipts, records, and reconciles monies, and prepares bank deposits, and ensures proper cash handling procedures are followed.
● Researches records and complies with public record requests.
● Processes, maintains, and distributes documents, files and case materials.
● Uses electronic filing to upload and process court issued documents.
● Maintains a cash till and ensures court fees are accurately assessed, paid, receipted, and correctly recorded in the case management system.
● Provides public case information to parties, attorneys, law enforcement agencies, and other outside agencies.
● Assists with overseeing jury administration; reviews, sorts, and organizes jury summons.
● Prepares alpha list, random list, voir dire sheet, and seating chart for jury trials.
● Uses the case management system to (1) open cases – determine case type/cause of action and assess and receipt filing fee if required; (2) docket cases – review documents and determine appropriate event codes, enter data, scan documents, and link related scanned images; and (3) close cases – determine and enter closing events, disposition type, and judgement details.
● Certifies and prepares court records, tapes, logs, and exhibits for cases on appeal to higher courts.
● Sets hearings and trials and orders bench warrants or cancellations.
● Maintains appropriate inventory of drug testing and office supplies.
● Reconciles billing and invoices from contracted vendors provided for specialty court programs.
● Prepares, proofreads, edits and mails out documents such as notices and final orders.
● Processes petitions for Trial Court Extensions of time to proceed to trial.
● Compiles and maintains court statistical reports and documents.
● Processes and expedites orders of protection.
● Accurately disburses bond payments.
● Prepares and maintains bond reports.
● Ensures the office courtrooms, and its equipment are operational.
● Executes on case hearings, which may include: orders to show cause, bench warrants, recusals, excusals, pleadings, and rule extensions.
● Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant should demonstrate extensive knowledge in case processing in all types of cases; auditing case files; running reports; cash handling procedures; legal terminology and phrases; filing methods; case processing; knowledge of Specialty Court Programs, Appellate, Civil and Criminal Procedures for appropriate court jurisdiction; research methodology; project; court fee accounting practices and principles; court monitoring procedures and equipment; local court rules; court records maintenance, retention and destruction; municipal, local, state, and federal governmental agencies; Court Clerk’s Procedures Manual and Code of Ethics; court’s and States Language Access Policies, access to the Certified Language International Interpreting Line; and procurement procedures.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The following functions are representative, but not all-inclusive of the work environment and
physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office or court setting. A valid driver's license and travel may be required. The assigned work schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays and overtime. The employee must regularly interact positively with co-workers, clients, the public, and judges and justices.
* This job description is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions performed
● Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, employee assistance program (EAP) [http://www.mybenefitsnm.com/]
● State paid life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance
● Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses
● Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, up to eight (8) weeks
● Ten (10) paid holidays
● Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
● Lifetime Defined Benefits Retirement Plan [http://www.nmpera.org/]
● Flexible work schedules and alternative work locations*
● Free health care, Rx, lab work at facility (Stay Well Health Center) in Santa Fe, NM
● Bilingual compensation*
● Training and career development opportunities
● Higher education opportunities and educational leave
● May qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
● May receive overtime holiday or shift differential pay*
● May receive physical fitness leave*
*these benefits vary by job classification or need*