The Second Judicial District Court is recruiting for a full-time, at-will, Trial Court Administrative Assistant #00000387-23200 position for the Children's Court Division in Albuquerque, New Mexico. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Acting under general direction of a Judge ensure the efficient administrative operation of the Judge’s office and serve as liaison and Judge’s representative to other court staff, Judges, other governmental agencies, attorneys and the public. Finalist(s) may be subject to criminal background checks.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
● The Trial Court Administrative Assistant is responsible for preparing and docketing cases in the case management system and calendaring and scheduling pre-trials.
● Prepares bond and release orders, dockets court orders to processes warrants, and checks jail logs.
● Researches and prepares documents, correspondence, notices of hearings and orders for Judge’s signature including orders to close cases, quash bench warrants, and memos of arraignment.
● Prepares orders (i.e. pre-trials, temporary restraining, show cause, Rule 1-016 Scheduling Orders, permanent restraining and transport orders);
● Conducts bond notices on arraignments and domestic violence hearings.
● Assists with pre-prosecution for pro se litigants.
● Oversees jury certificates, seating charts, and edits jury instructions and questionnaires.
● Prepares referrals to support programs such as settlement facilitations, Mortgage Alternative Programs, guardianship hearing officers etc.
● Conducts Motor Vehicle Department case research with officers and agencies.
● Screens petitions for domestic violence/civil cases.
● Trains and mentors new Trial Court Administrative Assistants, and other Judges staff.
● Coordinates court reporters, interpreters and security for court proceedings.
● Serves as an interpreter, court monitor and/or bailiff.
● Provides public case information to parties, attorneys, and law enforcement agencies and communicates case information with court staff, Judges and other governmental entities.
● Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant should demonstrate knowledge of legal terminology, citations and procedures; court rules and operations; case management systems; legal research, including electronic databases such as Westlaw Next, Lexis, and New Mexico One Source of Law; legal materials such as New Mexico Statutes Annotated (NMSA); legal citation/use and English writing style such as The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation and other legal reference materials; Supreme Court and Appellate Court Rules; Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR); rules and statues of Notary Public; assigned court(s) and procedures (i.e., civil, criminal, drug, mental health, homeless, domestic violence, student loans, guardianships, conservatorships, abuse and neglect, probate, lower court appeals and DWI cases); electronic rules and filing procedures; court procedural information versus legal advice; cultural diversity; calendaring and case file scanning; court case management system and applied programs; organizational management; conflict resolution; research methodology; filings in magistrate court; journal docket; dictation and transcription as required by the Judge, and court monitoring equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The following functions are representative, but not all-inclusive of the work environment and physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office or court setting. A valid driver's license and travel may be required. The assigned work schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays and overtime. The employee must regularly interact positively with co-workers, clients, the public, and judges and justices.
* This job description is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions performed*
● Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, employee assistance program (EAP) [http://www.mybenefitsnm.com/]
● State paid life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance
● Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses
● Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, up to eight (8) weeks
● Ten (10) paid holidays
● Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
● Lifetime Defined Benefits Retirement Plan [http://www.nmpera.org/]
● Flexible work schedules and alternative work locations*
● Free health care, Rx, lab work at facility (Stay Well Health Center) in Santa Fe, NM
● Bilingual compensation*
● Training and career development opportunities
● Higher education opportunities and educational leave
● May qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
● May receive overtime holiday or shift differential pay*
● May receive physical fitness leave*
*these benefits vary by job classification or need*