New Mexico State Judiciary Job Opening
Back to Job Opportunities Page
Administrative Office of the Courts
Business Unit: 24400
Financial Specialist Senior #00000868-24400, Full-time, Classified, Albuquerque, NM
# of Positions: 1
Opening Date: 01-19-2021 -
Job Pay Range: II: $19.616 - $31.876 per hour
Target Pay Range/Rate: $19.616 - $24.52 per hour
The Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court is recruiting for a full-time, classified, Financial Specialist Senior #00000868-24400 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Acting under general supervision perform a full range of accounting and fund management functions. Under general supervision, perform a full range of accounting, bonding and fund management functions; ensure compliance with state accounting guidelines and provide information to external auditors. Prepare, review, correct and approve various accounting documents and financial records to ensure proper usage of budget, funds and expenditures; maintain general ledger and reconcile to monthly reports; reconcile court/judicial entity cash and bank accounts; perform internal audits; monitor and disburse cash and trust accounts; manage grants by monitoring budget expenditures and revenue, and prepare and submit financial reports to grantors to ensure compliance with grant conditions; prepare and submit claims for reimbursement on grants, contracts and intergovernmental agreements; prepare payment and journal vouchers and operating transfers; prepare financial statements; request refund of filing fees or other fees as ordered by the court and collect Non-Sufficient Funds (NSFs) owed to the court; reconcile and provide petty cash for small purchases; verify, compile and maintain information on bond company licensure, authorized agents and bonding limits; prepare for the annual external audit; provide customer service; assist with reconciling financial reports; oversee or prepare deposit report and deposit monies to State Treasurer’s Office (STO); prepare and file IRS forms; archive financial documents. May work with financial institutions and other state and governmental agencies; search various databases for defendant information and for collections; track and coordinate bond forfeiture; track, record and report capital outlay assets; act as lead worker; assist with training court staff regarding financial functions; participate on interview panels; prepare for unclaimed monies report. May perform other duties in order to meet the operational needs of the Court. Finalist(s) may be subject to criminal background check.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
● The Financial Specialist Senior is responsible for preparing, reviewing, correcting, auditing and approving various accounting documents and financial records to ensure proper usage of budget, funds and expenditures.
● Ensures compliance with state accounting guidelines and provides information to external auditors.
● Maintains general ledgers and reconciles monthly reports.
● Prepares, develops and implements budgets and may monitor payroll and benefit expenditures.
● Reviews cash and surety bonds on a monthly basis, maintains collateral for surety and transfers bonds to other jurisdictions for out-of-country cash bond payments and for Grand Jury indictments.
● Manages and assists with various grants and monitoring expenditures and revenue while ensuring compliance with grant conditions.
● Prepares and submits claims for reimbursement on grants, contracts and intergovernmental agreements.
● Prepares payment and journal vouchers, operating transfers, and financial statements.
● Pays invoices and interacts with vendors.
● Requests refunds of filing fees or other fees as ordered by the court and collects Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) owed to the court.
● Prepares and tracks statistical reports used for budgets and assists in budget preparation.
● Tracks capital inventory and keeps current records of all fixed assets.
● Oversees recordings of warrants and initiatives warrant cancellations.
● Prepares for and participates in the annual external audit.
● Assists with reconciling financial reports.
● Manages refund/suspense fund and processes jury/witness fees.
● Oversees or prepares deposit report and monies to State Treasure’s Office.
● Deposits, enters, and reconciles suspense and overpayments to the Department of Finance and Administration (DFA).
● Participates in external audit processes with Judges and court staff.
● Reconciles and processes third party credit card payments and E-Payment Deposits for courts statewide.
● Serves as a point of contact for Department of Finance Authority vendor file, journaling deposits and processing W9s for vendors.
● Provides consultation, training, resources and professional support to judges, court managers and staff statewide.
● Travels to courts statewide to provide trainings on End of Month Reporting, Stale Dated checks and over-payments.
● Assists with training court staff regarding financial functions.
● Initiates or conducts Requests for Quote (RFQ) and may make recommendations or purchase goods/services based on RFQ.
● Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant should demonstrate knowledge of financial and case management systems; accounts payable and receivable; general ledger accounting systems; Governmental Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); Governmental Accounting Standards Board pronouncements (GASB); fraud control practices and procedures; internal and external audit procedures; trust accounts; federal, state and local rules and regulations pertaining to grants; inventory processes and budgeting processes.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The following functions are representative, but not all-inclusive of the work environment and physical demands an employee may expect to encounter in performing tasks assigned to this job. Work is performed in an office or court setting. A valid driver's license and travel may be required. The assigned work schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays and overtime. The employee must regularly interact positively with co-workers, clients, the public, and judges and justices.
* This job description is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions performed*
● Medical/Dental/Vision/Rx, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Programs, employee assistance program (EAP) [http://www.mybenefitsnm.com/]
● State paid life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance
● Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, day-care, and travel expenses
● Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, up to eight (8) weeks
● Ten (10) paid holidays
● Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
● Lifetime Defined Benefits Retirement Plan [http://www.nmpera.org/]
● Flexible work schedules and alternative work locations*
● Free health care, Rx, lab work at facility (Stay Well Health Center) in Santa Fe, NM
● Bilingual compensation*
● Training and career development opportunities
● Higher education opportunities and educational leave
● May qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
● May receive overtime holiday or shift differential pay*
● May receive physical fitness leave*
*these benefits vary by job classification or need*
Education: Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a directly related business field.
Education Substitution: Two (2) years’ of directly related or relevant experience may substitute on a year for year basis.
Experience: Four (4) years’ of experience utilizing Governmental Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in cash receipting and control, general ledger maintenance and financial reporting, and accounts payable and receivable.
Experience Substitution: A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a directly related business field may substitute for up to one (1) year of experience. Additional relevant education at the Master’s degree level (thirty (30) semester hours’ equals one (1) year of experience) or Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM), Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Public Financial Officer (CPFO) certification may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
Applicants interested in applying should complete a New Mexico Judicial Branch Application for Employment or a Resume Supplemental Form and submit with a signature and date to the Human Resources Division prior to 5 p.m. on the closing date to:
Microsoft Word Format
Adobe PDF Format
Resume Supplemental Forms:
Microsoft Word Format
Adobe PDF Format
Human Resources Division
401 Lomas NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102
Telephone: (505) 841-9819
Fax No: (505) 222-4823
PROOF OF EDUCATION IS REQUIRED
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER